Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Biggest takeaway from fixes book

       My biggest takeaway from the book would be evaluating what I currently do with grades and what changes I will make in the future. There are some fixes that I won't really need to take into account because I don't do them anyway. However, fixes 4, 11, 12, 13, 14 will be something I will need to look at a little more closely. Fix 5 will effect the current attendance policy, but won't really have an affect in the individual classroom. If changes are coming district-wide, then consistency might be the biggest takeaway. If there are only a few teachers changing their old ways, it will not work. Also, if we are trying to make too many changes all at once, I think there will be resistance from a number of teachers. I think some of the fixes in the book may be a little radical, and therefore don't have a strong "selling point."
        I don't think we need to totally reinvent the grading policy, but be open to a few changes that will logically fit with standard-based grading.  Some of the things we currently do in the classroom are opposite of what standardized grading is... I think, anyway. I've never done standard-based grading. I think changes are easier to accept if the people using the changes are the ones creating them, which seems to be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment